September 17th, 2010
Friday Scoop on Credit Karma & Housing Market News
No Comments |
Looking for a way to escape the foul effects of the recession? CNN Money reveals the most recession-proof cities for you to pack up and run to if you want better financial prospects.
Omaha, Nebraska tops the list as America’s most recession-proof city, thanks to the low unemployment rate of 5.5% in June, as compared to the climbing 9.5% national unemployment rate. Omaha also has the lowest change in unemployment rate in the last three years.
The rankings consider factors such as home prices and unemployment rates to determine which are the strongest-performing metro areas. A stable housing market and strong labor rates signal robust economic activity of a well-performing city. More Midwestern cities ranked top 20, including Madison, Wisconsin, Oklahoma City, and Kansas City, Missouri, as well as several Texan cities.
Some of the weakest performing cities and areas include Las Vegas, California, and Florida.
Are you living in a recession-proof city? If not, find ways to save on your home with today’s roundup of homeowner and renter advice; plus, extra advice for troubled homeowners. Have a great weekend everyone!
Credit Karma in the News
- Credit Karma reports that Hawaii Consumers Are Shedding Debt, from Pacific Business News. Consumers on the archipelago decreased credit card debt by 8%.
- LearnVest takes a big bite into some financial facts with Credit Karma Reports; 5 Juicy Facts About Credit In America.
- Great Advice From Around the Web, from Kiplinger, shares helpful links from around the web including tips from Credit Karma.
- Big news for Credit Karma! UW Credit Union Adds Free Credit Scores to Online Banking Dashboard and Links to Credit Karma, reported first by Netbanker blog.
- New Option For Underwater Mortgage holders: What You Should Know About the FHA Short Refinance Program, from GoBankingRates, throws in some interesting tidbits from Credit Karma blog.
Home & Mortgage News
- Renting with Bad Credit doesn’t have to be hopeless; CNN Money provides some advice on what to do.
- Enough with the doom and gloom about home ownership, The Wall Street Journal proclaims. Dare to dream for a house of your own and check out 10 Reasons To Buy A Home.
- Free From Broke shares 10 Ways To Lower Your Cost Of Living, such as 10) Adjust the Temperatures in Your Home.
- Ask Liz Weston has a short and sweet answer to a great question for struggling homeowners to consider, What’s Better: Short Sale or Foreclosure?
- Interested in a short sale? First read DebtKid blog’s My Short Sale:The Best Advice I Never Took.
Disclaimer: All information posted to this site was accurate at the time of its initial publication. Efforts have been made to keep the content up to date and accurate. However, Credit Karma does not make any guarantees about the accuracy or completeness of the information provided. For complete details of any products mentioned, visit bank or issuer website.